Tuesday 23 September 2008

You couldn't make it up

Nothing to do with Paris OR London...

I was just looking on the blog statistics (a word that it easier to write than say according to British researchers) to find who was reading and from where and came across something very disturbing.

Someone in Denmark found this blog after typing: "smack smack smack bare bottom man in public over mrs knee" into a Google search. I promise I have not made this up. I went down the results this inquiry produced and I cannot for the life of me see any reference to this blog. Phew! I know readers are hard to come by, but even so.

For some reason it made me think back many years to a very funny story told by a good friend and former colleague, working on The Sun, who swore it was true. A woman reader called in to moan and complain about something in the paper and was giving the young newsdesk trainee a hard time. The editor, Kelvin MacKenzie, passing the newsdesk and hearing enough of the exchange to gather what was going on, grabbed the telephone and shouted words to the effect of: "Madam, that's enough. You are banned from reading The Sun. You are banned from buying The Sun. You will never read or buy The Sun again, do you understand?" I'm not sure who hung up first, but a few moments later the same woman rang back. She said: "Excuse me, but does the ban include my husband?"

7 comments:

Dumdad said...

How did you think I first found your blog?

Lulu LaBonne said...

Great Sun story, I don't dislike Kelvin quite as much as I used to now.

Mignon said...

This is what I found when I checked my Stats. "my friend hot cousin sister younger boy sex" This made me want to shut down my blog. It is obviously words from many differant post, lumped together. Very upsetting to me. People are.......I can't even find the words.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Hilarious. Great story! that sums up the British in a way though doesn't it? Basically law-abiding and sticking to the 'rules'. I wish it was like that here in Albania! Yes Kevin Mackenzie went up in my estimation too:-)

Do you write for a French or English paper in Paris? I remember you saying you were a newspaper journalist I think somewhere?

I haven't found thatpart on mySats where you check howsomeone found you. Don't think I want to now though......

Anonymous said...

Dumdad I know that's not true...you would know it's not necessary to put "smack" three times into a Google search, unless you were really carried away.
Lulu, me neither!
Mignon, some people are.....
PLIT, I write for English newspapers; I could not impose my written French on anybody. Your message has taken me back to Kukes, Albania circa 1999, but that's another story. It's "By Referrals" on SiteMeter.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Wow Albania, 199, That REALLY was the wild west. (East) I keep having to remind myself this country has come a hugely long wayin 14 years (or so)when I get frustarted with it. A friend who was here in '96 eating at the one and only Italian restaurant in Tirana, had to duck under a table mid-fettucine, when some guys came in, started an argument, and then they started shooting. Two waiters were killed that night. In a shoot out!? I wa stold thi sstory within week sof arrivng. you still can hear gunfire in parts of the city at night. But really it's not that bad at all now........ Still enough material to keep me blogging though.

Parisgirl said...

PLIT, yes it was quite wild, particularly on the Kosovan border and beyond! I do hope the road from Tirana to Kukes has been improved: it was a killer, literally.