Saturday 20 September 2008

Answering my own questions.

It is Saturday, it is sunny and frankly I don't know why I'm bothering because I am clearly talking to myself. Oh well, just call me Alice's new best friend...

La Fille: "I don't want to go to school."
Me: "You don't have to. It's Saturday."
LF: "No, I don't want to go to school again. Not just not today. Not any day."
M: "That's different. You have to go to school. Everyone goes to school."
LF: "But I've been. Several times. That's enough. I don't want to go any more."

Oh dear.

The French have a strange way of trying to persuade their children to go to school. Here is a selection of book titles I have spotted over the last couple of weeks to help with La Rentrée.

"The teacher. She punished me".
"School. I'm not going".
"The Infant School Monster".
"How Stressful for the Teacher".
"A Day Far Away From Mummy".

5 comments:

Dumdad said...

"But I've been. Several times. That's enough."

Fair comment.

Anonymous said...

Morning Dumdad, so you're free too. Sorry I can't get the image of John Inman out of my head. Can't be many of us left who remember that series. You forgot to mention Mrs Slocombe and her pussy, but then I suppose it isn't exactly relevant to the tailoring!

Waffle said...

So how did this morning work out? Much wailing/gnashing of teeth?

I usually go with "I don't want to go to work either! What shall we do?!". Not that it helps, but at least it's honest.

Iota said...

Don't move to America. Then she will discover that lots of children are home-schooled. Then you can't use the "all children have to go to school" line ever again.

I remember "Are you being served?" It was the highlight of the watching week.

bonnie-ann black said...

my nephew gave us such a hard time each morning for the first year of school, we were all worn out and exhausted before the day even started (and he didn't go to school until he was 5 because i didn't want him trudging off at 3). finally, i queried as to the nature of his determined resistance.

"are you being bullied at school?" i asked.

"no!" he looked scornful.

"is the teacher mean to you?"

"no!"

"is the work too hard?"

"no!" another glare.

"then what is it, sean?"

"i don't want to be somewhere when someone else wants me to be there!"

i couldn't answer that. it only gets worse when you get older. after all, every morningin my head, i was screaming "I don't want to go to work!"