Monday 22 December 2008

Christmas Crackers

At La Fille's school Christmas Party the headmistress made all the children line up in a group in the playground and sing a few songs. Parents were ordered not to clap between songs, not to sing along, and not to approach their child to take photographs. I did not hear her instructions above the hubbub of excited children and did all three.

The first song was about being 'mad about chocolate', the second about three lambs from a merry-go-round getting lost in the snow. Then the children sang a song about writing to Father Christmas to ask for various musical instruments. One of the verses calls for a request for 'clochettes' or bells that go ting-a-ling-a-ling. La Fille sang 'clochards', which means 'tramps'. In short, La Fille, following in her mother's gaffe-prone footsteps, announced to all and sundry that she wanted Father Christmas to bring her some down-and-outs.

If anyone can send me some good old fashioned English Christmas Carols I'd be very grateful...and relieved.

7 comments:

Nicol said...

I created a document in word with tons of Christmas songs (the words to the songs). Some American, some Old English and others that are popular today. If you want, I would be happy to email you the entire document.

nicolmontero at gmail dot com

Iota said...

I love this story. I'm making a collection, actually, so could you whizz over to my blog and add it to the comments under the post "Christmas Carols"? Please. It would enrich my collection.

bonnie-ann black said...

i also have a small booklet of collected christmas carols, some religious, some secular, which i would be very happy to send on. we use it every year at the Lucia Day celebration.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Great post Parisgirl, what a catalogue of recent linguistic faux pas (don't know what that is in the plural) Sorry to say, but it makes great copy!

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog and am sitting here laughing at my desk! (not at you, really!) I am an American married to a Frenchman and we live in NYC where my daughter goes to a French school and I can completely relate to many of your experiences. Thanks for the blog!

Dumdad said...

Joyeux Noël!

Henry the Dog said...

Loved the story. Can't help you with the carols but can wish you a Happy Christmas - to you, the Frenchman and your little pup La Fille. xxxx