Tuesday 14 April 2009

The Rosbif and the Frogs

I am turning native. I ate frogs' legs yesterday. They were sautéed with a lot of garlic and served warm as an apéritif. This is the French experience, eh?

Not much to it really, psychologically or physically unless you are a frog lover. Or a frog. You'd be hard pressed to get fat on them. For the curious they taste like very tiny chicken legs, though the squeamish might be turned by the fact they are served in pairs still joined at the hip. I worried that La Fille might be a little disturbed by the idea as her favourite series of books at the moment is Frog and Toad. I was ready to explain - though I'm not sure what or how - but there was no need. She was so keen the Frenchman said: "Aha! You are half French after all", as if there might be some doubt about this.

I was with French friends and the conversation turned to other national delicacies; it was admitted that the French do have some very dubious culinary habits. For starters there's Tete de Veau, or indeed the process involved in the making of foie gras, which, is cruel even if the end product is delicious. "Aha, but you English have boiled lamb and haggis," said our hostess. "No, that's not us that's the Scottish," I said.

But there are lines to be drawn with my efforts to integrate. I can say with 100% confidence that you will not find me eating snails or, as I prefer to think of them, slugs with shells. In this case I will make an exception to the rule, oft repeated to La Fille, that one should try something before deciding one doesn't like it. I don't even want to know if I don't like snails.

8 comments:

Tim Atkinson said...

They're actually surprisingly pleasant. Go on...

Dumdad said...

Chez Dumdad we all regularly eat snails, tête de veau, frogs' legs, cow's tongue, oysters, kidneys etc.

We even ate brains (see post: http://wwwtheothersideofparis.blogspot.com/2007/08/thought-for-food.html) but my son, daughter and I didn't really like it and that is now off the menu. The Frog Queen, however, eats anything including bowls of brains.

bonnie-ann black said...

i found the two times i tried snails that they were not worth the effort -- rubbery, small and needing to be smothered in some sort of sauce, or sauteed in something flavorfull. i find that food that *needs* other things to be flavorfull are not worth the time (this includes veal, tripe, brains, kidneys... you name it). frog legs too. not so interesting, i don't think.

on the other hand, i happen to love haggis.

Iota said...

I'm told they're just salty, but, like you, I don't really want to find out.

Anonymous said...

I like snails and haggis - but I won't try anything like brains or tongue or tripe. I once tried oysters, but wasn't crazy about the texture and sliminess. I suppose I'd starve in many places around the world, wouldn't I?

Anonymous said...

It's the gizzard sausages that makes me gag!

GG

Nota Bene said...

The French have never been able to present me with anything that's not quite digestible. The Chinese, however,....well that's a different matter altogether

Swearing Mother said...

Snails, ugh! Just can't eat anything that, when living, would leave a slimey trail behind it.